United Nations observances are used to contribute to the achievement of the purposes of the UN Charter and promote awareness of and action upon, important political, social, cultural, humanitarian or human rights issues. They provide a useful means for the promotion of international and national action and stimulate interest in United Nations activities and programmes. For international years and decades the UN Secretary General takes action to establish preparatory process, evaluation and follow-up procedures.
The majority of observances have been established by the UN General Assembly and some have been designated by UN specialized agencies.
Subscribe at: webcal://ical.me.com/globalhealing/UN%20Days.ics
In 2007 The WHALE Center Global Healing program coordinated and administered a four part pilot program to model how U.N. Days might be celebrated in communities across the world.
The project combined speakers, musicians, and workshops to celebrate World Water Day, March 22, Mother Earth Day, April 22, International Day of Biodiversity, May 22, and a combined Celebration of World Environment Day, June 5th and World Ocean Day June 8th.
The celebrations took place live at the Mahaffey Theater in St. Petersburg, FL and online with 367,00 people signing up to watch the podcast from 112 countries and all 50 states in the U.S.
The following is are the recorded videos of the event beginning with an introduction to the series.
World Water Day. March 22nd
Dr. Sandra Postel, Director of the Global Water Policy Project, presents on World Water Day at the Mahaffee Theater in St. Petersburg, FL
Earth Day April 22nd.
Opening Earth Day 2007 Concert with Lori Michaels at the Mahaffee Theater, Saint Petersburg, Florida.
Sam Keen provides an Earth Day presentation on Global Justice at the Mahaffee Theater in St. Petersburg, FL
Closing Earth Day 2007 Concert with Stephen Longfellow Fiske at the Mahaffee Theater, Saint Petersburg, Florida.
International Biodiversity Day May 22nd.
International Biodiversity Day with Sheila Watt-Cloutier, Nobel Prize Nominee, shares the wisdom of the Inuit people of the North.
World Environment Day, June 5th, and World Ocean Day, June 8th
World Environment Day and World Ocean Day Press Conference at the Mahafee Theater in St. Petersburg with:
- Dr. David Randle, President & CEO WHALE Center, Moderator and Project Director
- Rick Baker, Mayor of City of St. Petersburg, Florida.
- Dr. Paul Boyle, President & CEO of The Ocean Project
- Dr. Vladamir Golitsn, Director of the U.N. Division of Ocean Affairs and Law of the Seas.
- Dr. Chris D'Elia, Director of IOI USA & USF St. Petersburg
- Phillipe Cousteau, President & CEO, Earth ECHO International.
- Sir Peter Anderson, Secretary General, Conch Republic.
- Admiral Finbar Gittleman of the Conch Republic Navy and the flagship Schooner Wolf.
- Dr. Noel J. Brown, President & CEO of Friends of the United Nations. The press conference was held at the Mahaffee Theater Saint Petersburg, Florida.
World Environment Day and World Ocean Day 2007 - Kristen Hoffmann performs "Song for the Oceans" as part of the International Concert for the Oceans. Kristin's concert was performed at the Mahaffee Theater, Saint Petersburg, Florida.
World Environment Day and World Ocean Day Panel at the Mahaffee Theater, Saint Petersburg, Florida. with:
- Dr. David W. Randle, President & CEO WHALE Center, and Project Director.
- Ed Begley Jr., Actor and Activist see: Ed Begley Jr.
- Dr. Noel Brown, President & CEO of Friends of the U.N.
- Dr Vladamir Golitsyn, Dirctor UN Division of Ocean Affairs & Law of the Seas.
- Dr. Frank Mueller-Karger, Director IOI USA and Profesor USF College of Marine Science.
- Phillippe Cousteau, President & CEO Earth Echo International.
- Dr Paul Boyle, President & CEO The Ocean Project.
Robert Aviles & Insight perform for World Environment and World Ocean Day. The program was part of the International "Concert for the Oceans. The concert took place at the Mahaffee Theater Saint Petersburg, Florida.